Prince William and King Charles III were not aware that Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor would be arrested on Thursday, Page Six has confirmed.
The 43-year-old Prince of Wales and the 77-year-old monarch were not told in advance that former Prince Andrew would be detained on the morning of his 66th birthday.
Prince Charles immediately issued a statement expressing his “deep concern” that his brother was being detained on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
“There will now follow a full, fair and appropriate process by which this matter will be investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities,” the king wrote. “In this regard, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and cooperation.
“Let me be clear: the law should move in that direction,” he concluded. “As this process continues, it would be inappropriate for me to comment further on this matter. In the meantime, my family and I will continue our duty and service to you.”
Andrew’s wife, Queen Camilla, held a lunchtime engagement just hours after he was taken into custody.
The 78-year-old met musicians and watched a concert as part of her role as royal patron of London’s Sinfonia Smith Square Hall.
During the outing, she was all smiles wearing an all-black ensemble.
Camilla did not comment on allegations that her brother-in-law transferred confidential trade documents to Jeffrey Epstein while he was Britain’s special representative for international trade and investment.
Andrew, in particular, could face up to life in prison if convicted.
Prince William and Duchess Kate have also not yet spoken out, but Page Six understands that they “support” Charles’ statement.
Last week, Charles shared his “deep concerns” about his brother’s relationship with Epstein.
At the time, Her Majesty’s spokesperson said Her Majesty’s “thoughts and sympathy have been and continue to be with victims of all forms of abuse.”
Mr Andrew’s relationship with Mr Epstein has been under scrutiny since 2019, when Queen Elizabeth II’s son stepped back from royal duties following a damning BBC interview about his friendship with the convicted sex offender.
He reportedly settled a sexual abuse lawsuit filed by Virginia Giuffre, who died by suicide last year, for millions of dollars.
Andrew has since been stripped of his military connections and royal titles and was evicted from his Royal Lodge home earlier this month.
