What you need to know
The son of retired NFL star Lem Burney confirmed that his father is “alive” after the Pro Football Hall of Fame sent an email announcing his death.
The former Detroit Lions cornerback’s son Lem Jr. told Detroit Free Press sportswriter Dave Burkett that his 80-year-old father is not dead.
On Saturday, Nov. 29, Burkett shared the conversation on his X account, explaining that Lem Jr. met his father at Thanksgiving and “started receiving messages last night asking about him.”
“He spoke to Lem’s nurse today and she sent him a selfie and said he heard his voice in the background,” Burkett continued.
The sportswriter added that Lemme Jr. said, “He’s fine…he’s alive.”
Focus on Sports/Getty
In a statement to PEOPLE, the Pro Football Hall of Fame (PFHOF) apologized for the false reporting and explained how the error occurred.
“Based on conflicting information regarding the passing of Lem Burney, the Pro Football Hall of Fame is rescinding an email sent earlier today,” the organization’s statement reads. “The Hall was unable to independently confirm such news. We apologize.”
According to NFL.com, which published the retired NFL star’s obituary after PFHOF’s initial announcement, PFHOF cited “media sources associated with the Detroit Lions.”
Lem Sr. played for the Lions in the NFL from 1967 to 1977.
Never miss a news. Sign up for PEOPLE’s free daily newsletter to stay up to date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to human interest stories.
Focus on Sports/Getty
In 1992, the former Lions star was inducted into the PFHOF.
His son also told Burkett that he had dealt with death rumors in the past.
“Lem Jr. said this is the second time in recent months that he has had to deal with false rumors about his father’s death. It was after the Texas floods earlier this year,” Burkett wrote in another X post.
Mr Burkett added that Lemme Jr. said he was “like the boy who used to cry wolf now”.
