King Charles III is speaking out after his brother, former Prince Andrew, was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
“It is with deep concern that I learned of the news about Mr. Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and the allegations of misconduct in public office,” the monarch said in a statement released by Buckingham Palace shortly after the news broke.
“There will now be a full, fair and appropriate process whereby this matter is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities,” the 77-year-old continued. “In this regard, as I have said before, they have their full and wholehearted support and cooperation.”
Charles added: “Let me be clear: the law should move in that direction.”
“As this process continues, it would be inappropriate for me to comment further on this matter. In the meantime, my family and I continue our duty and service to you,” he concluded in a statement.
On the morning of his 66th birthday, Andrew was detained on suspicion of misconduct in office for allegedly transferring trade secret documents to Jeffrey Epstein.
In particular, he was the UK’s special representative for international trade and investment from 2001 to 2011, and newly released Epstein files show that Andrew is suspected of sending Epstein reports about his 2010 trips to Vietnam and Singapore.
Andrew could face up to life in prison if convicted, as the Official Secrets Act requires trade envoys to keep their travels confidential.
Thames Valley Police said on Thursday: “A man in his 60s from Norfolk has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office and searches are underway at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.”
An estimated six unmarked police cars and eight plainclothes officers were photographed at Andrew’s Sandringham Estate home.
“Following a thorough investigation, we have launched an investigation into allegations of misconduct in public office,” Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said in a statement.
“As we work with our partners to investigate this alleged crime, it is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of the investigation,” he continued. “We understand that this matter is of significant public interest and will provide updates in due course.”
Andrew’s friendship with Epstein, a convicted sex offender who died in federal custody in August 2019, has been under scrutiny for years.
However, Queen Elizabeth’s son has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing.
Despite this, he stepped down from royal duties in November 2019, was stripped of his military connections and royal patronage three years later, and lost his remaining royal titles and honors in 2025.
In the latest blow to Charles’ brother, Andrew and his ex-wife Sarah Ferguson were evicted from their Royal Lodge home earlier this month.
Andrew was formally accused of sexual abuse by Virginia Giuffre in 2021, and the two reportedly reached a multi-million dollar settlement the following year.
Giuffre, who later died by suicide, wrote in his posthumous memoir, Nobody’s Girl, that Andrew “believed it was his birthright to have sex with[her].”
Her family released an emotional statement following the disgraced royal’s arrest, writing: “Finally today, our broken hearts are healed as we hear the news that no one is above the law, even members of the royal family.”
