Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested in connection with Jeffrey Epstein.
The former prince was arrested on Thursday (also his 66th birthday) on suspicion of misconduct in office for allegedly forwarding confidential trade documents to Epstein.
If convicted, he could be sentenced to up to life in prison.
At least six unmarked police cars and about eight plainclothes officers surrounded Mountbatten-Windsor’s new home on the Sandringham estate in eastern England on Thursday morning.
One police officer who arrived at around 8 a.m. local time was seen carrying a police-issued laptop.
Half an hour later, two unmarked police cars left the premises. A vehicle believed to be carrying a former royal security team followed.
Thames Valley Police, which patrols the area around Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home, Royal Lodge, also carried out a search of the property in Berkshire.
Thames Valley Police issued a statement without naming Andrew, saying: “A man in his 60s from Norfolk has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office and searches are underway at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.”
According to authorities, he remains in police custody as of this article’s publication.
“Following a thorough investigation, we have launched an investigation into allegations of misconduct in public office,” Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said in a statement.
“As we work with our partners to investigate this alleged crime, it is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of the investigation. We understand the significant public interest in this case and will provide updates in due course.”
Immediately after the arrest, King Charles issued a statement expressing “deep concern” over the charges.
“I am deeply concerned to learn of the news regarding Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and the allegations of misconduct in public office,” he began in a statement released by Buckingham Palace.
“There will now be a full, fair and appropriate process whereby this matter is investigated in an appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. As I have previously stated, the authorities have their full and wholehearted support and cooperation in this regard.”
“Let me be clear: the law should move in that direction,” the monarch added. “As this process continues, it would be inappropriate for me to comment further on this matter. In the meantime, my family and I will continue our duty and service to you.”
His arrest comes just a month after anti-monarchy campaigner Graham Smith reported Mountbatten-Windsor to Thames Valley Police on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
The disgraced former crown prince, who served as Britain’s special representative for international trade and investment from 2001 to 2011, allegedly sent Mr Epstein a report on his 2010 trip to Vietnam and Singapore, according to newly released files.
Under the Official Secrets Act, trade envoys must keep details of their travels confidential even when they are not fulfilling their role.
Thames Valley Police were also investigating allegations that a woman was trafficked to the UK by Mr Epstein for sexual contact with Mr Mountbatten-Windsor.
British Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer, asked about Mountbatten-Windsor’s decision to speak to police voluntarily, said: “No one is above the law.”
“I think this is a police matter,” he told the BBC on Thursday. “They will conduct their own investigations, but one of the core principles of our system is that everyone is equal before the law and no one is above the law.”
“This is a very important principle of our country and must be applied in this case as much as in any other,” Starmer added.
Andrew has long been investigated for his relationship with the late Epstein, but has denied any wrongdoing.
Newly released files recently showed the former prince kneeling on top of a woman and touching her stomach. It is unknown when the photo was taken.
Last year, Mountbatten-Windsor was stripped of his title and honor after allegations emerged that he was one of Epstein’s clients. He was also evicted from his home in Royal Lodge and forced to move to a small wood farm on the Sandringham Estate.
Andrew was initially investigated over years of claims by Epstein victim Virginia Giuffre that she had been forced to have sex three times since she was 17 at the behest of Epstein and his madam, Ghislaine Maxwell.
Although he maintains his innocence, he reportedly paid Mr Giuffre millions of pounds in a civil settlement.

This article was featured on a recent episode of Page Six Radio, a daily morning show that brings you the hottest celebrity headlines, exclusive information and behind-the-scenes stories. Watch Danny, Evan and Ian chat with celebrity guests every day on SiriusXM from 8am to 10am ET on Stars Ch. 109.
SiriusXM service required. See offer details.
