Sarah Ferguson may be questioned by police over the arrest of her ex-husband Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, a top British legal source has told Page Six.
Ms Ferguson, who was stripped of her title as Duchess of York over the Jeffrey Epstein scandal, is believed to be in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) after being evicted from her former Royal Lodge home.
But if she returns to the UK, Ms Ferguson, 66, could be questioned by Thames Valley Police, who arrested her ex, also known as Prince Andrew, early on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
Although there is no evidence of criminal activity by Ferguson, “police may have grounds to question Sarah Ferguson as she may be a relevant witness in this case,” a top lawyer told Page Six.
“They may want to ask her some questions. Sarah Ferguson wouldn’t have held any public office at the time, but we don’t know what she knows or whether she revealed anything (in the emails in line with her role as a former royal and Andrew’s ex-wife).”
However, the official said it was “up to the police” to decide what action to take, adding: “Police can call in anyone they wish as part of the investigation.”
As Page Six previously reported, Ferguson has always defended and supported Mountbatten-Windsor even after losing his royal title.
But she is left red-faced because a series of messages released in some emails in Epstein’s file clearly show her begging the convicted pedophile for cash and even offering to work for him.
“Please marry me,” she wrote in an email in January 2010 after Mr. Epstein was released from prison, according to the files.
In a May 2010 email, she said she “desperately” needed money and asked for a job as his “house assistant,” then described herself as “very traumatized and lonely,” the filing alleges.
In 2009, she demanded £20,000 in rent after her landlord threatened to go to the newspapers.
According to CNN, six companies where Ferguson was the sole director have been shut down following the latest release of the Epstein files.
The companies, which also include public relations and communications services companies and retailers, have reportedly applied to be removed from the UK’s Official Enterprise Register.
Mr. Ferguson’s charity, Sarah’s Trust, which focuses on improving the lives of women and children, is also closing in the “near future” in the wake of the new Epstein dossier, according to the Associated Press.
In a statement, the trust said: “The foundation’s president, Sarah Ferguson, and the board of directors have regretfully agreed to cease their philanthropic activities for the time being. This has been discussed and planned for several months.”
Mr Andrew was arrested on Thursday (also his 66th birthday) on suspicion of misconduct in office for allegedly forwarding confidential trade documents to Mr Epstein. If convicted, he could be sentenced to up to life in prison.
Mr Ferguson is believed to have been in the UAE when police arrived to arrest the late Queen Elizabeth II’s second son at his temporary home on the Sandringham Estate.
The mother of Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie is said to have spent a few days with friends in the French Alps seeking some winter sun before heading abroad.
A representative for Mr. Ferguson declined to comment on Mr. Andrew’s arrest.
